The CRI Irvington Postdoctoral Fellowship Program supports qualified young scientists at leading universities and research centers around the world who wish to receive training in fundamental immunology or cancer immunology.
A panel of scientists drawn from our Scientific Advisory Council rigorously evaluates each candidate, the intended sponsor and training environment, and the nature and feasibility of the proposed project.
CRI seeks hypothesis-driven, mechanistic studies in both immunology and tumor immunology. The applicant and sponsor should make every effort to demonstrate the potential of the proposed studies to directly impact our understanding of the immune system’s role in cancer.
An Additional Opportunity
In collaboration with the Fibrolamellar Cancer Foundation, CRI has secured limited funding for additional postdoctoral fellowships for candidates whose projects are focused on understanding the immunological response to fibrolamellar carcinoma and accelerating the development of effective immunotherapy treatments for this rare, aggressive liver cancer that occurs predominantly in otherwise healthy adolescents and young adults.
Applicants should submit to the general CRI Irvington Postdoctoral Fellowship Program and any application in this area will be considered eligible for this special funding opportunity. This opportunity is in addition to our standard call for applications.
- Applicants for the CRI Irvington Postdoctoral Fellowship Program must be working in areas directly related to immunology or cancer immunology. An eligible project must fall into the broad field of immunology with relevance to solving the cancer problem.
- Applicants must have a doctoral degree by the date of award activation and must conduct their proposed research under a sponsor who holds a formal appointment as an assistant professor or higher rank at the host institution.
- Applicants with 5 or more years of relevant postdoctoral experience at the time of award activation are not eligible, with the exception of M.D. applicants, who should not include years of residency in this calculation.
- Only in exceptional circumstances will applicants who have already spent 3 or more years in a sponsor’s laboratory by the start date of fellowship be considered for a fellowship award.
- The fellowship can be performed in the United States or abroad, but must take place at a non-profit institution. There are no citizenship restrictions.
- Only one fellow per sponsor may apply per application round, and faculty sponsors may not have more than three CRI-supported fellows at any time.
Applicants are permitted to resubmit their fellowship application at a subsequent deadline provided that the new application is improved to reflect progress. Changes to the application must be highlighted.
Newly awarded fellowships provide a stipend of $55,000 for the first year, $57,000 for the second year, and $59,000 for the third year. In addition, an allowance of $1,500 per year is allotted to the host institution for use at the sponsor’s discretion to help pay for the fellow’s research supplies, travel to scientific meetings, and/or health insurance.
Deductions for administrative overhead are not allowed from either the stipend or the institutional allowance. Payments are made monthly in U.S. currency to the host institution.
Award Terms and Conditions
All awardees must adhere to the terms of this award.
Please note: The Cancer Research Institute will not modify the terms of its policies at the request of individual institutions. Policies have been approved by our Board of Trustees, and we do not have the resources to negotiate separately with the many institutions that receive our support.
The application deadlines are March 1 and October 1; when those dates fall on the weekend, applications are due the following Monday. Applications are due by 5 p.m. Eastern Time on these dates. Applicants are notified of fellowship committee decisions within approximately 10-12 weeks of the application deadline.
Fellowships can be activated three months after the application deadline but no later than one year following the deadline. Awards activate on the first of the month.
View Instructions and Apply