Position: Development Assistant
The Cancer Research Institute is seeking a development assistant to join its individual giving team.
The development assistant is a full-time employee who works collaboratively with and in support of the individual giving team, including the director of major gifts and the mid-level gifts officer. Key responsibilities will be to support the team with cultivation and solicitation of major and mid-level donors, research and qualify donor prospects, and record and maintain pertinent information in CRI’s donor database (Raiser’s Edge). He or she will assist in the execution of mail appeals, acknowledge gifts, track responses, and analyze campaign performance.
The person in this position will:
- Assist the director of major gifts and the mid-level giving officer in the movement and tracking of prospects from identification through cultivation and solicitation
- Help director of major gifts create targeted proposals that match donor interest with organizational need
- Acknowledge and receipt all mid-level and major gifts and craft personalized correspondence where appropriate
- Perform prospect research and create prospect profiles that include biographical, career, financial, and philanthropic information and input and maintain this information in CRI’s Raiser’s Edge database
- Analyze giving data and trends to identify new prospective major gift donors and work with the fundraising team to devise appropriate strategies to bring these individuals to solicitation and closure
- Assist in the preparation and dissemination of fundraising materials to significant donors and prospects, including relevant, timely program updates, articles of interest, proposals, and reports
- Perform other administrative and job-related duties as requested
Candidates must possess:
- Exemplary written and oral communications skills, with preference for candidates with experience writing for fundraising campaigns and other donor communications
- Strong research and problem-solving abilities
- Impeccable attention to detail
- A strong team orientation and willingness to work with others
- Ability to manage confidential information with discretion
- Experience managing multiple assignments and deadlines
- Excellent diplomacy and strong interpersonal skills
- A natural curiosity and enthusiasm
- High energy and outgoing personality
- Excellent database, word processing, and spreadsheet competence
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge
Cancer Research Institute is prepared to offer the successful candidate a competitive compensation package that includes base salary starting between $42,000 and $45,000 per year, employer-paid health insurance, generous retirement benefits, and other benefits.
This position is for a full-time employee based in CRI’s headquarters in downtown Manhattan in New York City. CRI staff are currently working part of the week in office and part remotely. Proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 required.
About the Organization
Founded in 1953, the Cancer Research Institute is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to save more lives by fueling the discovery and development of powerful immunotherapies for all types of cancer. Guided by an expert Scientific Advisory Council, CRI invests in the most critical research and development of promising new immune-based treatments and unites the efforts of the field’s leaders worldwide. Through this work, CRI is transforming the paradigm of cancer therapy, enabling patients to live long, healthier lives free form the fear of cancer. The field of cancer immunology has made remarkable progress in the past decade. The successful application of basic research knowledge to the clinic has resulted in tangible patient benefit. CRI’s sole focus on research (both in the laboratory and the clinic) will help to expand these treatment successes to more cancer patients throughout the next decade. The need and opportunity to provide a continuum of research funding has never been greater nor has it been poised to deliver more benefit. CRI is committed to meeting this research challenge by increasing our fundraising efforts with an intensified focus on individual giving.
Cancer Research Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Chief Development Officer
Note: No solicitation from staffing companies will be accepted.