The Lloyd J. Old STAR Program provides grants of $1.25 million over 5 years to mid-career scientists. This long-term funding will not be tied to a specific research project, but rather will aim to provide a degree of flexibility and freedom for investigators to explore out-of-the-box and disruptive avenues of research. Candidates selected for this award are expected to be future “stars” in the field of cancer immunology: Scientists Taking Risks.
Candidates for the Lloyd J. Old STAR program must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- The applicant must have an M.D., Ph.D., or M.D./Ph.D. (or equivalent)
- Applicants must belong to one of the following categories as of July 1, 2020:
- Tenure-track assistant professor with a minimum of 3 years in this position (appointed on or before July 1, 2017)
- Tenure-track associate professor with a maximum of 3 years in this position (appointed on or after July 1, 2017)
Adjunct or acting positions are not eligible.
Applicants are expected to commit a minimum of 80% of their time to conducting research.
CRI has no citizenship restrictions, and research supported by the award may be conducted at medical schools and research centers in the United States or abroad. Please note that the Cancer Research Institute does not support research at for-profit institutions.
Lloyd J. Old STAR Program grants provide up to $250,000 per year for five years. Awarded funds are intended to be flexible and may be used for salary, technical assistance, supplies, capital equipment, or scientific travel. CRI does not provide funds for indirect costs. Payments are made quarterly in U.S. currency to the host institution.
The process for applying for a Lloyd J. Old STAR Program grant consists of two parts:
- Invited interview in New York City
The deadline for the receipt of applications is January 15. Candidates will be notified in early March whether or not they have been invited to the Cancer Research Institute in New York City for an interview. All invited applicants must be available for an in-person interview with members of CRI’s Scientific Advisory Council. The earliest an award can activate is July 1. Awards must activate on the first of the month.
UPLOADING SUPPORTING MATERIALS
After you have filled out all required fields on the online form, you will be asked on the final page of the application to upload, in this order, the following supporting documentation along with your application form in one PDF document:
- Complete the Application Form (PDF)
- Abstract: A 300-word overview of the research questions, goals, and approaches of your lab. The content should be written in nontechnical English.
- Research summary: A summary (not to exceed 4 pages) of your ongoing and planned research, highlighting your past work and plans for the next 5 years. Tables, figures, and references may be attached as an appendix.
- List five (5) publications of note: Five peer-reviewed papers that cover your most important scientific contributions. For each publication, provide a citation followed by a 300 word or less summary of the publication’s significance. Do not include copies of the publications with your application.
- Curriculum vitae and bibliography (limit bibliography to past 5 years and relevant publications).
- List of your current research support.
Only PDF documents will be accepted. All files must be combined into one document and named according to the following formula: if your name is John Brown, your file should be called Brown, John.pdf. Do not submit multiple attachments.
When you have finished uploading the attachments, click "Submit". You will receive a notice confirming that you have successfully submitted your Application Form. Immediately after, an automated notification from CRI will be sent to your email address, also confirming submission.
If you encounter problems uploading your attachment, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to note the application number, which will be assigned to you at the time of submission.
Online applications will be accepted until 5 p.m. Eastern Time on the deadline date. We strongly suggest submitting your applications as early as possible to provide ample time in case your application is incomplete. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Any documents you attach to your online application form must be typed single-space using a 12 pt. or larger font size.
DOWNLOAD PDF APPLICATION FORM
Completing the Online Application Form
You will be prompted to create a user account unique to you, which will catalogue all applications you submit to CRI. You will use this account every time you login.
Applicants Visit the login page to access your saved application.
Login to Portal
A browser plugin may be required for the PDF file found this page.